Yesterday we presented our game artifact for the class. While there are several features we were not able to implement in the final version, I think it was still good. It is unfortunate that we weren’t able to get the monsters only appearing in the player’s peripheral vision to work in the VR version of the game.
I think that our group could have done a better job if we had made sure to clarify what our goals were with each other, as I feel that I may have misunderstood what other people in the group were aiming for. Also, I feel that I haven’t contributed as much to the project as other people.
For the group’s contextual statement I researched VR projects, and articles about VR. The Green Fairy was a project I was interested in both because of the interesting way it uses the head motions to pause and continue the narrative, and because it is a local project. The Oculus Connect 3 ending keynote became of interest to me when I found this article. I felt that the ideas of Carmack’s speech that were discussed in the article were very relevant to our project.
Our final prototype version can be found here.
Our game trailer can be found here. Screen capture by me, editing by Alex.
This week we continued working on our respective parts of the game, and I offered to focus on the research part of the work, as my art skills are somewhat redundant due to the number of artists in our group.
Monster concepts – Bethany
Partial background art – Toby
Looking at the previous three briefs, I would say that our game’s main mechanic is simply looking around, although we are planning to add things such as the monsters moving and disappearing, and the sky changing over time from sunset to full night. Our main aesthetic is discovery – looking around and finding things in the scene – but we are also trying to give an interesting sensation experience with paper-like 2D assets instead of 3D models. We are also trying to create a soundscape that allows the player to immerse themselves in the scene. To some extent, the culture we are trying to tap into is that of horror games – particularly the ones where the player is unable to do anything to fight back, such as Slender, Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Outlast.
I think our final pitch went better than the first one, even though we had several technical difficulties immediately before we had to present. We did manage to present our slide show and have our game playtested, and again seemed to get positive reactions.
There were a few things I would like to implement in the game that we either didn’t have the time or ability to add before our presentation, such as:
- Any sort of audio, which I feel would have gone a long way to setting the atmosphere of the game.
- A more in-depth dialogue and narration, and one that is properly written*.
- More areas and characters – in particular, had planned for other students to have simple one-line dialogue pieces for the player to read.
- A character-naming screen, where the character named is actually your friend, which I believe would encourage players to care about her more.
*This was partially because the dialogue was mysteriously changed between the point where I wrote it and when it was put in the game. While the content was basically similar, my version had several wording differences, a slightly less casual and ‘slangy’ way of speaking, and all of the player options were written as commands such as “>ask why she was late to class” as opposed to “Hey uhhhh, why were you so late for class?”. I would be interested to find out which players in the target age group (high school students) find more appealing.
Conversing with ‘Mila’
Conversing with Mrs Anaya
For the Vernissage project I have joined a group with 3 members of my previous group – Nick, Toby and Bethany – and one new member – Richard.
We have decided to look at doing a VR experience, with similar ideas to the one Bethany’s group did for the aesthetics assignment, where they walk around an uneven forest terrain, and have sudden loud music play whenever they find a certain object hidden in the environment.
Some of the ideas we have had for our project are:
- Having a more spooky theme – including creatures roaming the forest
- Having no controller – the player’s only method of interacting being by moving their head – similar to The Green Fairy, in that the player looking in a certain direction at certain times can trigger events
- Using a paper/2D visual style, in order to play more to the strengths of our group members, 4/5 of which are primarily-traditional artists
Notes on ideas discussed in class – Toby
Creature design – based on bat orchid plant – me
These are some screenshots I found of other games that use paper-like visual styles. I think the Paper Sorcerer game is closest to what we’re aiming for.
This is a list of the duties allocated to each person in our group.
For our prototype, we have decided to stick with one setting – the classroom – and 3 major characters – the player, the friend who has been given a temporary ‘default’ name of Mila, and the teacher, who has been named Mrs. Anaya (both names courtesy of Jieya).
The Player – by Jieya
The Friend (Mila) – by Jieya
The Teacher (Mrs Anaya) – by Jieya
Classroom setting – by Alex
I have been working on the dialogue and script for our prototype game.